Thursday, November 28, 2013

Top 5 Things I'm Thankful For


Here are the top five things I’m thankful for this Thanksgiving:

  1.  God: God is not only at the top of the list, but He’s throughout the entire list. There’s nothing I could express gratitude for without first expressing gratitude for God- as He is the creator and giver of all good things! I’m thankful that God is who He is, that He created the universe, that He made humans in His image, and that He desires a relationship with us. I’m thankful that through His wisdom, God ordained a way to have a relationship with us despite our imperfection, through the ultimate sacrifice, His son Jesus Christ; and that He didn’t compromise any parts of His character- His holiness, justice, mercy, or love- in His perfect plan. I’m thankful that Jesus humbly came down to earth, being wholly God and wholly man simultaneously, that He lived a life that is an example to us and that allows Him to understand our human struggles, and that He died to take our place and atone for our sin. And I’m thankful for the Holy Spirit, which allows us to know God, love God, serve God, and become more like God (though perfection will never be accomplished here on earth). I am so thankful that by God’s grace and not ANYTHING that I have done, through faith, I know God and have a relationship with Him. I love you, Lord. Thank you.
  2.  People: For my family, for my friends, for acquaintances, for strangers, and for those who have been “enemies” at some point. I love people. I love how everyone is different and special in some ways, and yet how there are some things that ALL humans have in common and can relate to. I love the people I’ve met in my hometown and the people I’ve met all around the world. I love the people who have made my life joyful and beautiful, and I love the people who have brought me to challenges that eventually led to growth. So thank you, God, for all the people you’ve placed in my life. And thank you, people, for being who you are and for playing a role in my life, however big or small.
  3. Love: Love is amazing. Not the feeling love, but the choice love. Love that is patient and kind, not envious or proud or dishonoring, not self-seeking or easily angered. Love that doesn’t keep record of wrongs, that doesn’t delight in evil, but rejoices in truth. Love that protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres. Love like that doesn’t come naturally or easily to us, but it is by far the most incredible thing that human beings are capable of doing. Thank you, Jesus, for showing us what love is and for helping us to love well. We love because You first loved us. Thank you to everyone who has loved me throughout my life.
  4.  Adventures: I’m thankful for adventures of all types and sizes. Some recent adventures that I’ve been on include: going to a Justin Bieber concert, finishing an Accounting degree in two years, going to a luau in Hawaii, getting a kitten for the summer, setting off fireworks on the 4th of July, watching through entire TV series with my best friends, moving to Nigeria for 6 months, attempting to teach 40 African children how to trick or treat, and trying pie for the first time (tonight!). Thank you, Lord, for all the adventures you’ve sent me on. The little, seemingly insignificant adventures and the huge, exciting ones have helped make my life fun and full.
  5.  Challenges: As much as I love happy, fun times, I’m also thankful for difficult, challenging times. It’s not a new concept that suffering leads to growth or that it takes bad times to recognize good times; but those concepts have recently been made real to me personally, and I have a new appreciation for the ups and downs of life. There’s a rhythm to life that goes something along the lines of good, then bad, suffering, then joy, hardships, then happiness, hurt, then healing. That rhythm is purposeful and designed to make us know God better and become more like Him. So thank you, Father, for drawing me closer to You through challenges, for leading and guiding me through difficult times, and for eventually bringing me out of suffering to a place of peace and joy. I love you!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you have a beautiful day today, and may we all grow in thankfulness for what God has given us!

No comments:

Post a Comment